Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Innovate Strong or What would Edison Do?

After much consideration, I think I've got the answer to what has seemed to be a big disconnect between what is said about innovation, and what is done in the name of innovation. It all came about because of a wristband.

My daughter is a huge fan of Lance Armstrong, and has had a LiveStrong bracelet for quite some time. The LiveStrong bracelets became such a huge fad that it seemed everyone I knew was wearing one at some point. And, since a lot of the money went to fight cancer, the more wristbands, the merrier. What do wristbands have to do with innovation? Quite a lot.

Nobody ordered everyone to go out and buy (and wear) a LiveStrong wristband. People bought them because they saw their friends wearing them, asked them about the wristband, heard the story and decided to get on board. In other words, the LiveStrong wristband was a word of mouth success which eventually became a media story. That's when the whole think probably jumped the shark. What's interesting about this is that much of the attention and awareness of the wristband and its meaning and value passed from person to person - people committed themselves to buy and to wear the wristband because they thought it stood for something - curing cancer, and even their small contribution put them in solidarity with others who wanted to fight cancer. It became a cause to join.

That's where there's an intersection between innovation and wristbands. Innovation, for the last few years, has been an interesting hobby horse for CEOs and senior executives to trot out to Wall Street and their investors. "Look at our focus on innovation" they'll say. Yet in the mid-management levels, little has changed. Little additional money or resource has been set aside in many of these firms. As we've discussed previously, innovation needs top level involvement and a groundswell from the troops to be successful. It's time for the WWED wristband. WHAT WOULD EDISON DO?

We need for people in the trenches to get onboard with innovation - most firms need to create a cause that their employees, business partners and vendors can join to improve the prospects of the firm and become more innovative. Yes, they'll still be underfunded and yes, there will be high expectations for innovation and yes, the innovation teams won't get all the resources they need - but as people begin to wear the wristbands, innovators in business units and functions across the organization will recognize each other and learn to work together across the business units and in spite of the inadequate resources and slothful culture.

Most businesses don't need to be told that they need to become more innovative - they know that. What they need is something - a mission, something to belong to, that people within the organization can join in and support, so innovation become a bonding opportunity and a method to bring everyone together on the same page. If Lance can do that for Cancer, what can we do for innovation?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 3:07 PM

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post and looked around and found this company that will create custom bands. Would be cool to do the WWED bands. Just a thought.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggers

Looking for contractors state license board at http://doityourselfpro.com/. Well I recomend This Site. Maybe your asking who am I

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone

I have made a Web site about us senate minority leader.

I hope you check it out.

http://moti4u.com

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Negocio rentable said...

hello, this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.
Inversiones en petroleo

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

Used. Case is a bit worn but contents in good condition.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous asuransi pendidikan said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous action coach said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous jadi artis said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous cara dapat duit said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous kerja sama investasi said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous coach indonesia said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous jajanan bandung said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous coklat valentine said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Panduan SEO said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

10:56 PM  
Anonymous belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

10:57 PM  
Anonymous how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

10:57 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

10:57 PM  
Anonymous tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

10:58 PM  
Anonymous how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

10:58 PM  
Anonymous easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about INNOVATE STRONG OR WHAT WOULD EDISON DO? This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home